- Responsible to plan, organize, develop, direct and delegate (as appropriate) the overall operation of the Nursing Department in accordance with current federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, and facility policies. The objective is to ensure the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
- Must possess a current, unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois and/or Wisconsin.
- Minimum of one (1) year nursing service administration experience.
- Must possess current CPR certificate or become certified within two weeks of employment.
- Must be knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures.
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language in an understandable manner.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with customers, family members, visitors, personnel, government agencies/personnel, and the general public.
- Must possess leadership and supervisory ability and willingness to work harmoniously with personnel.
- Must be personable, enthusiastic, and resourceful.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so the requirements of this position can be fully met.
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with customers, family members, personnel, and support agencies.
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability.
- Must be able to relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people.
- May be required to lift, push, pull, and move equipment, supplies, and customers in excess of 50 lbs. throughout the day.
- Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including exposure to the (HIV) AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
- Accepts work assignment as directed by appropriate authority. This may require different floors, customers, workload, and multiple tasks as assigned.
- Plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate, and direct the Nursing Department.
- Assure all Nursing procedures and protocols are followed in accordance with established policies. Reviews annually for revisions and make recommendations to the Administrator.
- Directly supervise and instruct the Ladies and Gentlemen of Alden on a number of topics to promote job knowledge.
- Identify problems, develop, and implement solutions with the assistance of the Administration.
- Develops and implements a nursing/rehab/restorative philosophy that promotes quality nursing, rehab, restorative care for each resident.
- Assure adequate staff on all shifts.
- Audits charts and EHR to ensure daily documentation is done.
- Assure laboratory and x-ray reports are received and filed for all tests completed.
- Audits transfers/discharge information to assure accuracy and completeness. Audits charts for deficiencies. IDT-through regularly scheduled chart audits.
- Assist in developing a written plan of care for each customer that identifies the problems/needs of the customer. Attends and actively participates in resident care plan conference when indicated.
- Attend Customer and or Family Council meetings when invited. Report all concerns, complaints made by the resident or their family to the Administrator.
- Recruit, interview, and select the Ladies and Gentlemen of Alden with the approval of the Administrator.
- Schedule department work hours, personnel, work assignments, etc., to expedite work. Ensure a sufficient number of Ladies and Gentlemen of Alden are available to meet the needs of our customers.
- Counsel/discipline as requested or as necessary. Complete performance evaluations timely.
- Make daily rounds to ensure nursing personnel are performing required duties and to ensure that appropriate procedures are being followed. Make physical rounds on all customers daily. Make rounds with physicians as necessary.
- Submit Workmen?s Compensation forms (once reviewed) to the Business Office Manager within 24 hours after their occurrence.
- Plan, conduct and participate in In-service Education Programs.
- Assist in implementing and maintaining an effective orientation program that orients the new Ladies and Gentlemen of Alden to the facility, his/her department and its policies and procedures.
- Attend and participate in continuing education programs.
- Place orders for equipment and supplies as necessary following established budgetary guidelines.
- Maintain budgetary restraints by following established procedures for preparing purchase orders for review by the Administrator prior to placing orders.
- Maintain a reference library of written nursing materials (i.e., Drug Formulary, State and Federal regulations, etc.) that will assist the nursing service department in meeting the day-to-day needs of the customer.
- Participate with the Administrator and Admissions Director in selecting appropriate admissions and assignments of rooms.
- Review nurses? notes/EHR to ensure they are informative and descriptive of the nursing care being provided, and they reflect the customer?s response to the care.
- Monitor medication passes and treatment schedules to ensure medications are being administered as ordere